Sunday, January 24, 2010

#24 of 365 - National Pie Day

January 23rd is American Pie Day and Erin's father's birthday. Long story short, I ended up in the ER whilst trying to make an apple pie for his birthday celebration one year long ago.

Yesterday, being American Pie Day, I wanted to make a pie, since there was no fresh fruit and little in the way of frozen fruit, I decided to made a savory quiche. I used the leftovers of the pot roast, we had had earlier in the week. So, how do you make a pie for American Pie Day when your only pie tin is in the back of Curtis' Red Beast (that would be his truck)? To that end I made a pie for our supper in a glass casserole dish.

After all, what is a quiche, but a cheese pie? I therefore, got out my trusty Joy and looked through the recipes for quiche. In the end, I used two recipes from the Joy for our pie, Pate Brisee for the crust and the Cheese Pie recipe for the filling. It turned out pretty yummy. If I hadn't been too lazy, we would have had crudite of cauliflower, carrots and green peppers to go with, but I didn't want to go to the effort, but this would be a great complete meal with a green salad and/or raw veggies as a side dish.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

That looks yummy! You always cook something enviable.

Diana Troldahl said...

***drool***

(todays word verification was
oodias

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I completely vote for lazy and cheesey!!!!
I'll have to look that up and see if it's in mine; I know depending on the year, they vary.
It sounds delish....and I don't know what to fix for dinner!

XXOO!!
Anne

Jan said...

Looks and sounds delicious! I used to make quiche a lot back when I had chickens and fresh eggs. I'm glad you didn't end up in the ER this time.