Monday, March 2, 2009

Creative Every Day - Dragonfly Socks

Here's today's Creative Every Day effort. It is a pair of pages in a 3.5 x 5.5 inch Moleskine Notebook from the E=Mc2 IME Group on Ravelry. This book is part of the Moleskine Round Robin, which I have blogged about before. This particular book is from the second group. This is the same group that I did the Ravens and Roses themed 5 x 8 inch book for. (See post of 01/22/09 for a look see at that book)

This page says "Dream Bigger" and the "R" of Bigger goes off of the page. It is collaged from torn bits of scrapbooking papers. I made a ribbon page marker with a fob from a recycled bob of plastic that some stickers came on. I am trying to be a greener crafter and repurpose things. I stitched plastic letters of the book owner's name inside the plastic sleeve and attached it to the ribbon with an initialed brad (This part is missing from the picture as the book owner doesn't need to know what I have been up to: wink, wink). I used stickers for the lettering. I also sketched and used altered bits of stuff on the two prior pages.












Here is a picture of one of the latest pair of Dragonfly Socks. This pair were knit on Size 2 Brittany DPNs from a Cherry Tree Hill Sock yarn in the Blue/Green Colourway. I got two little bits of pooling from the knitting of the heel flap, not enough to bug me though, for which I am very glad.

The previous pair of Dragonflies(the purple/green stripey ones) were knit on 4s. I definitely like the smaller needle size in terms of the fit of the socks but hated them for the fact that I broke two of them just knitting along on this pair. Never mind, that they all look like smiles from bending as I knit.

What happens when knitting fast with wooden needles also known as How to Put a Smile on Your Wooden Needles? Apply Heat and Humidity from my hands.

These needles are only a week old. There really is no excuse for the breakage, in my opinion. They are made of birch wood and have a lifetime guarantee, so it's no big really. Except, the LYS doesn't have any of this size in stock at the mo. Yes, I know there are metal needles, but they fatigue my hands faster than anything and I like to knit for long stretches, sigh.

11 comments:

Hope said...

You know, a lot of people I know have had problems with Brittanys breaking in the smaller sock sizes. I recommend bamboo. They have so much more give and resiliency. My faves are the Clover/Takumi ones. Or Addi Turbos in the two circs method.

I've heard good things about the KnitPicks needles too - both nickle plated and wooden.

Leslie said...

I am going to switch to ChiaGoo bamboo if they ever come in at the store, I can't find Clover/Takumis in Size 2 or 1 anywhere in this town of 4 LYSs. Sigh. I wants KnitPicks, but ye gods, the price...

Celia said...

I like wooden needles better as well.

talumirage said...

That moley is lined!
My moley was lined!
You had my moley!
OHMYGOD IT MIGHT BE MINE!

Anonymous said...

Ah - so it was you who did that page :8 I did wonder !

Fx

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Leslie--
Please check this--

http://elmilagrostudio.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-first-prize.html

Margi said...

LOVE the dragonfly socks Leslie. I am such a sock a holic! LOL

Leah said...

Oh my goodness, I love your dragonfly socks!!! They're adorable.

I'm also loving your dream biggeR page!

Leslie said...

Thanks everyone for all the advice on the knitting needles and the very kind comments on the dragonfly socks. This was the second pair and I may have to put them on the needles again in a summer sock yarn. Easy, fast and fun and turn out beauteous.

Margi said...

Leslie, just wanted to post to you again a big THANK YOU for leading me to the dragonfly sock pattern. I just finished up the first sock and this has got to be my all time favorite pattern! WOO HOO! Thanks again. margi

Leslie said...

You are most welcome. I've made two pairs and have a third on the needles